Monday, November 5, 2007

Africa....oh my!

Well, one of my gal friends requested another blog....w-o-w, that made me feel loved and appreciated! Although I think secretly she just wants another reason to laugh, which I am guessing my stupid ramblings always make her do. Sooooo, u know who u r....r u sure u r prepared for this one. Well too late cuz here it comes!!! NOW will u get a myspace page???? Just remember, I did sacrifice and got facebook for YOU, even though I loathe it!!!
A lot has happened in the past month...where shall i start??? Work - ok, so the month of August proved to be a huge blessing for "the Ranch". We had several events that caused a lot of exposure for the ministry. And when u have exposure, that means more $$ is just around the corner. Some BIG things are in store for this ministry and I am very blessed to be along for the ride!! It's only a matter of time before we will be making an impact on the kids lives!!
Africa - oh my! Soo I just had my training weekend for my trip. Let's just say that I am even more pumped about my trip after my training in s-u-n-n-y Orlando! BUT I realized some pretty icky stuff about me and my heart! Thanks so much for all of you that prayed for me during that weekend, cuz the Lord is definitely doing more in me than I even realized. Who knew!?!?! When I had decided to go to Africa my thought was that I was gonna go, feed a lot of little ones, and that was why I was going. To just love on them and take care of their physical needs. OK, so not only was I completely wrong in my thinking, but I was sooo naive to think that is what is gonna change the continent of Africa. My heart and my thinking have obviously changed.
The Rafiki Foundation is who I will be going with to Africa. Their mission statement is "turning lost orphans into godly contributors" and the way they fulfill that mission is through rescuing orphans in 10 of the poorest countries in Africa. These countries have had the most devastation by AIDS. These countries are also the ones that have the most orphans. 24 million and counting! I mean, think about that 24 million children who don't have a mother, father, any relatives and no hope for a future, no hope for love, no hope for their basic needs being met and no hope for a Savior. Ahhhh, it just breaks my heart into a million pieces just thinking about it. The Rafiki Foundation longs to reach these orphans by providing for their physical, emotional, spiritual, educational needs as well as teach them skills that will help them become contributors in their country.
The director of the foundation, Rosemary Jensen, who is just a phenominal woman of faith shared this story with us: She asked some of the church leaders as well as some gov't officials in Africa which of the 3 would they prefer.
1. provide food for 5,000 orphans.
2. provide food and shelter for 3,000 orphans.
3. provide an education, skills, food, shelter, and the Bible to 1,000 orphans
All of the countries leaders said the 3rd option because that will change the children's lives so that they will be the future leaders in Africa which will make a huge impact on the entire continent of Africa. Such a different way of viewing how we can help a hurting continent. It's not about giving them rice and beans, hugging them, and then leaving. YES it is important to provide for their physical needs and to show them love, but it is not going to make a lasting effect on these people enough!!!!!!! Goodness, I have been so incredibly challenged in my shallow thinking.
While I am in Africa I will be teaching in the Rafiki Village school, I will also be teaching sports, as well as helping the housemother in the home during meals and in the evening hours I will be teaching these children the Bible. My heart simply rejoices just thinking about what the Lord will have me do to bring hope to these hopeless children!! Jesus is the only One who will bring change, hope, and life into these children's lives and I am so thankful that I get to witness it. I've begun to realize that this trip isn't about ME. -go figure- I have also come to realize in a more in depth way that WE, believers, are ALL called to take Jesus to the nations. In Matthew 28 it says "Go and make disciples of all nations" It doesn't say those of you who are comfortable living in another country, or those who have the time to leave your job, or those who have the $$ to go....NO we are ALL called to GO!! I have read that verse and have been hearing that verse for 10 yrs....this past weekend i have seen even more clearly how much that verse applies to me and EVERY believer!! Yeah, EVERY believer!! (I actually just deleted a HUGE portion of this blog to spare you my preaching!)
ANYWAY...I am going to Africa in February for a month. Lots of reasons for the change in the time when I will be going. BUT I really believe the Lord is at work in this and it is His plans not mine that are succeeding. Love that!!! I will keep everyone posted on the dates and the country.... YaY!!! AFRICA!!!!
Moving on...I had an incredible thought run through my mind this morning as I was on my way to work. I don't know if many of you are like me, but I mess up a lot!! I mean A LOT! I tend to put my foot in my mouth more times than not, I get flustered easily when I don't know how to respond to something someone said, I just say things that I don't realize I'm about to say, AND I tend to just shut down when I am uncomfortable....all of these things can have a negative effect on the ones that it is indirectly directed at. (did that just make sense?) cuz they may think that i am responding to them in a negative way. The thing that the Lord impressed upon me today is that in a sense it doesn't matter. Ultimately He is in control and that even if I mess up, which will happen approx 99.9% of the time, His plans succeed! I can't mess with His will. He is sovereign in my stupidity....He is gracious in my nervousness...He is loving even when I mess things up!!!! When I find myself in a situation that I just messed up in, my tendency is to talk about it with the person, so to clarify why i responded the way that I did....which usually makes me look more stupid and messes the other person up even more than before.......I'm not sure if any of this is making sense, but I feel overwhelmed at the thought that the Lord's Will is just that....I can't change it even when I do stupid things! Isn't the Lord grrrrreat!! Just something that I have found myself trusting the Lord in....maybe no one can relate, i dunno!
Hey, so friend from WI are you satisfied now????

No comments: