Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Ghana Highlights

Well, some of you have been asking for details about what I did while I was in Ghana. Goodness, if I started typing all that I did, story after story would flow onto this blog and you would be very overwhelmed. Sooooo, I decided to just give ya'll some highlights to keep it easy reading but also give you a taste of what I did. Here ya go:

* I worked at an orphanage (Rafiki Village) as a teacher & administrator.
* I taught in the Kindergarten and Preschool classes everyday. (taught math, spelling, handwriting, you name it and I helped!)
* I was able to go off site and see different place in Ghana. I went to a few different villages to get a good taste of what Ghana is REALLY like. I saw some pretty "rough" areas where people call "home". Was quite remarkable to see how people live in the bush country of Africa.
* Was able to go to markets and kiosks galore! I bargained with the best of 'em! Actually got really good at it by the end of my trip...kinda shocked myself and the Ghanians!
* Got proposed to a few times....*sigh* I can't even get a DATE here in America. (in case you were wondering, I politely turned them down. AND by polite I actually mean, I laughed in their faces! Mainly because I don't get attention from men in the US so I wasn't quite sure how to respond other than with laughter)
* On a similar note...got asked for my phone number as well. AGAIN...laughter followed!!!!
* Decided that even if I was called "Blondie" or "Golden Princess" or "My Sistah" that those names were ONLY given to me because either they wanted me to spend money in their shop, or marry me so I would bring them back to the US! Ahhhhh, Good Times!!!
* Had my heart & eyes opened to more of the world and God's heart for the world.
* Rode on a "tro tro". OK this was really fun...Tro tro's are like a 15 passenger van that would be kinda like a taxi in America. They squeeze as many Ghanians in these things that can fit...like 20-25! They tro tro's are less than desirable looking, the drivers drive CRAZY...like they don't follow any road rules at all, break down ALL the time, have parts that fall off ALL the time, and are also a way of transporting dead people! They also transport livestock on the tops of them! AND I RODE ONE!!!!! It was quite an experience let me tell ya! When in Ghana...be like the Ghanians!!!! (see pics for a view of tro tro's)
* Was able to see what true joy and true hope looks like. Joy & Hope in the Lord!
* flew all by myself which I would now say is SUPER EASY!! Funny that I was really nervous about that. Piece of cake...will go anywhere in the world by myself now!!! The Lord is soooo good...all my peace and trust was from Him and He allowed me to have a good flying experience! * was able to spend A LOT of time reading, praying, journaling, & time in the WORD.....this was a very unexpected blessing about my trip! Funny how the Lord called me clear across the world to meet with Him in a real special way!!!! (word's can't accuratley describe all that He did in my heart and life!!!)
* tried Ghanian food...ummm let's just say that it is hot, spicy, and fishy! I am not a fan of fish so needless to say I ate rice, and well, rice! And scrumptous fruit!!! I had the most amazing pineapple, bananas, and mangos that I have ever tasted!!! If I could have brought a suitcase full of fruit home I would have left all that I took over to do that!!! Yepp, it was that good!
* Fell in love with Ghana, it's people, and the culture!
* Experienced Ghanian church....INCREDIBLE!!!!
* Decided that kids are kids EVERYWHERE and that no matter where I am I LOVE KIDS!!!! They were all amazing! (see pics and you'll see it too!!)
* Ghana was the MOST AMAZING experience I have ever had, EVER!!!! To see people who have nothing live like they have everything because of the Lord was indescribable.
* I am forever changed as a result of this trip and can't wait to go back!!! (where & when is the ?)!!!!!!!

No comments: