Monday, July 5, 2010

B-ball in the DR

This past week I had the privilege of helping out with a basketball camp. I coached 12 boys on the Verde team. I helped lead a rebounding station in the mornings and then coached my team in games in the afternoon. Not only did we try to teach the boys basketball skills but we also taught them about the Lord. I was able to share verses in the Bible that relate to playing sports but more importantly are applicable to life as well. My main focus for the boys wasn't to win, but to glorify God in all they did. I had soooooo much fun coaching these guys...I pray that the things I taught them from the Word will leave an indelible mark on their hearts.

Team Verde - Go GREEN team!!!!!!!

Coach Witcho in action with team Blanco

I love this lil guy!


My team looks tough don't they?!?!?!
I was super nervous to coach at the beginning of the week. I was the only female coach so I wasn't sure if I would be received well...girls in sports is becoming more accepted in the DR but still not many girls play sports. I am also a lil rusty. I haven't coached for several years so I wasn't too sure if I would have much to offer these kids. I am in awe of the verse in Philippians, which I have had memorized since I was in high school: "I can do everything through him who gives me strength". I have known the verse but saw it lived out this week. Even with the language barrier, the fact that I am a girl and rusty at coaching, He gave me everything I needed in order for Him to be glorified through me this week!

1 comment:

The Buchers said...

I'm sure you taught your team crazy skills! That's awesome!