Tuesday, March 31, 2009

5K - What was I thinking?!?!?


It all started with a conversation I had with my friend Bethan. See, she is a machine. And she was trying to convince me to start training to a run a race with her. After much laughter from yours truly, I got to thinking...why not? So I made her a deal that in 2 years I would run a 10K with her. (She is headed to Guatemala with the peace corps for 2 years) I figured that I have a TON of weight to lose, but I want to do it healthily (is that a word? it is now!) Soooo, it's gonna take me a LONG time to reach my goal. So I thought 2 years seemed reasonable.


THEN enter Jennifer Staggers. I love her, but man, why did she have to have a "good" idea???? She suggested that her and I start training for a 5K, do one in the summer to start off with and then do a bunch more throughout the year. Then once I have that under my belt, why not start training for a 10K. My first response, like always, was LAUGHTER!!!!! But wouldn't ya know it, I ended up deciding it wasn't a bad idea after all. Sooooooo, yepp, I have finally put action behind my normally empty words and the training has begun. PRAY FOR ME!!!!!!


I have picked a program that I have heard a TON of good things about...Couch to 5K. Like it's title, it is supposed to take u from the Couch to a being able to do a 5K in 9 weeks....


There, I set a goal....I will meet that goal if it kills me! BUT i have a sneaky feeling that it will only make me more "alive."


These will help me reach my goal...but more importantly...

I can do everything through him who gives me strength. ~Philippians 4:13

2 comments:

The Buchers said...

WOO HOO! I'm so excited for you! I'll cheer you on every step of the way. This will be awesome. :)

Bethan said...

:) I'm excited and so are you! You are excited to have motivation and excited to see yourself accomplish your goals! I'm excited too!!! I love running and I think everyone would too if they gave it a chance! It's such a great feeling!