Sunday, October 14, 2012

Texas Update LONG Overdue

Howdy folks!  (Do I sound Texan yet?)  Many of you know my journey here in Austin got off to a rocky start and I am feeling like I am back on my feet....well sorta.  After seeing the Lord go ABOVE and BEYOND to get me here and to provide for all my needs I was diagnosed with mono after week 1 of being here.  Now listen...it wasn't cuz i got all crazy and kissed a bunch of guys before moving, so no kissing jokes, please!  They never did figure out just how I got it.  :/ After battling with mono for several months I am finally feeling more like myself.  I still get very tired and fatigued and it takes me longer to recover, but I am mostly feeling like myself again.  So yay for healing!  Due to the crazy start it has taken me awhile to doing fun things in the city but below are just a few things that have been checked off my 'I wanna do that cuz you should when you live in Austin' list:

-Trip to South Congress.  Lots of shops and fun places to eat.  Had a slice of pizza from the 'best pizza in town', Homeslice Pizza.  I must say it was some yummy pizza!

-Chuy's Tex Mex joint.  Been there a few times...let just say the food is amazing and there is a HUGE fish with a delighful mustache on it.  What could be better??  If you come and visit me I will take you there.  :)

-WVU/UT Game!  It seriously was the best sporting event I have ever been to!  WVU kicked some butt, it was an excting game, and the crowd was soooooo energized and loud!  It was a great experience being in that stadium and cheering on the Mountaineers!

-Torchy's Tacos - breakfast tacos are all the rage here in Austin.  Best breakfast taco place I have been to yet.

-Dominican Connetion:  Found a favorite coffee shop!  Dominican Joe....sooo cool.  When you purchase coffee the proceeds go to the DR!  We all know that a part of my heart is still very much in the DR so to find a place that partners up with the DR was amazing for my heart!  There is pics of Domincan and Haitian kiddos all over the shop!  There is also a non-profit org that was started up and is based out of Austin...makarios...they meet the spiritual, educational, and physical needs to children in the DR.  I am pursuing volunteering with them and possibly making more trips to the DR to assist in whatever ways they need in the future.

-Central Market.  google it.  it's awesome!  I will take you there when you come and visit!  :) 

All in all my first few months here in Austin have been great!  Even in the midst of having mono I was still able to enjoy my job at UT (when I could get out of my bed to get to the office) and time with the kiddos has been super fun!!  Nothing like seeing Adam and Asher on a somewhat regular basis to put a smile on my face and it reminds my heart to continue being excited about two special reasons I moved here.

OK and one more thing that is sooooo not related to TX in any way....it just makes me laugh soooo much everytime I watch it I can't help but share:


No comments: