Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Eucharisteo

A believe that the Lord orchestrates beautiful things to take place in our life...things that at the moment seem ordinary but oh how He will turn the ordinary moments into life-changing, Jesus-filled, joy moments where we realize that our life will forever be changed. I had one of those moments this past Friday. I was driving around town and ended up meeting with my sweet friend Dawn at Target because she was braving the crazy Black Friday crowds to get some much needed winter gear for her kiddos. This was not a planned time together, but a decsion made kind of on a whim. I joined her as she was crossing things off her list...our Target trip was full of good conversation and laughter. I love this woman so much! She is such a joy in my life and I respect her for the way she lives out the Gospel daily.

As we were walking around chatting she mentioned a book that she read that changed her life. Now when Dawn say something has changed her life I listen, and listen quickly! She starts telling me about the book - 'One Thousand Gifts'. As she is talking about it she gets so super excited and decides that she is going to buy me the book. Well what a blessing that book has been in the past 5 days of my life. It's all about Eucharisteo - giving thanks. This "ordinary" woman is being used by the Lord to change thousands of people's lives/hearts by simply practicing Eucharisteo. She started making a list of 1,000 things in her daily life that she is thankful for. Once she hit 1,000 she didn't stop, but continued on daily giving thanks for the Lord's blessings in her life and as a result she is experiencing living a full satisfied life in Christ, not wishing and wanting for something other than what she has. To find joy and thanksgiving in the "boring, mundane, or pain" is the key to living a grace-filled life. A life that honors the Lord.  She found that starting a habit of practicing thanksgiving was like a nail driving out the old habits of self doubt, bitterness, resentment, anger, and discontment.

Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is. Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit, speaking to one another with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I am only about halfway through this book, but I am starting my list of 1,000 gifts:

 
1. Redemption in Loss.
  
Let me explain. My sister and I growing up didn't have a great relationship. (that is putting it mildy actually) It was a relationship that didn't seem to have much hope in it. I always kind of felt like our relationship was doomed from the beginning and it would remain as it began. Well wasn't I quite wrong. Things changed a little when she went off to college and I remained at home for my senior year of high school, then that was followed by a little bit more positive change as I went off to college. Hints of the past would creep in when we would be at home for the holidays, but there were longer breaks in between the hurtful times. Then enter the passing of our mom. I never imagined being able to see good in such an awful time in my life. Losing my mom is like a gaping wound that never heals. It has gotten smaller over the years, but it still hurts some days as if it happened yesterday.

Enter the redemption in loss. My relationship with my dear sister Becky has been redeemed. We have gotten closer the past 7 years...both fully experiencing loss that I don't think we ever thought we would have to face this early in our lives. A loss that has inevitably drawn us closer to one another.  Then enter Asher and Adam. What a joy my nephews are! Since they have been born I feel a tug on my heart to "do" more for Becky. Mom would have moved to Texas by now to be closer to Becky and the boys and it breaks my heart that my sis had to have some of the most amazing days in her life occur without mom being there to be her biggest cheerleader. I know I can never be in my becky's life as mom would have, but I love her so much that I want to be someone in her life that will encourage her, help her, cheer her on in her achievements, and not just be her sister but her friend too.   This also spurs me onto being in the kids daily life.

Losing mom has been the most hurtful thing I have ever had to experience, but seeing the development of my relationship with Becky since then has been a rainbow in the midst of a storm. So Becky, I am very thankful for you, for the past few years that we have grown closer and I look forward to many more years seeing our relationship grow! You are such a joy in my life and I am incredibly thankful for you.


 
Redemption in Loss. Such a BEAUTIFUL thing.



1 comment:

GG online said...

you have the same smile